I have discovered a dairy free frozen dessert that doesn’t contain soya and that tastes delicious.
I found this tub of loveliness in Waitrose, but you can also get it in Sainsbury’s, and . . . it comes in a chocolate combo, which is next on the list to try!
It is heady with the flavour of vanilla, with the coconut coming in at the end. A dollop of it is mighty fine on a steaming bowlful of crumble, particularly strawberry crumble (one of my favourites) and it melts down to a milky consistency.
I really wanted to use it in a drink, but not the usual milkshake / smoothie type thing. And then I remembered affogato. This would work in an affogato thingy-bob, wouldn’t it?
I have never had affogato before. Mainly because a) there will be something else on the dessert menu that I want more, and b) I am not a fan of coffee at the end of a meal. Why would you want some caffeine loaded drink an hour or so before you have to go to sleep?
I thought. I umm-ed and I ahh-ed. I mulled it over. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate my brain whispered to me.
Initially I was just going to throw a scoop of the frozen coconut dessert in my simple dairy-free hot chocolate, but . . . if I added a shot of coffee to the hot chocolate . . . mocha affogato ahoy!
A glass of hot chocolate and coffee into which the coconut slowly melts, imparting a lovely (surprise, surprise) vanilla coconut flavour.
And just for the record, I used decaf coffee, but if you feel the need for a pick-me-up go with the full strength stuff!
Coconut Mocha Affogato
- 100ml unsweetened almond milk, or any other milk you prefer
- 20g dark chocolate, dairy free if required
- 1 shot hot espresso, decaf or not, the choice is yours
- 1 large scoop dairy free frozen coconut dessert
- Place the almond milk and chocolate in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the chocolate melts, stirring frequently. Continue to heat for 5 minutes or so, until it thickens slightly.
- Pour in the espresso and mix.
- Place the scoop of frozen coconut dessert in a glass and pour over the hot mocha mixture. Serve immediately.
© The Pink Rose Bakery 2015