I really had no plans to jump on the blood orange band-wagon. A quick perusal of either Pinterest or food blogs at the moment will result in mountains of blood orange recipes. I was going to leave it alone. Yep, they are in season and all that, but . . .
The truth is that I have been eating quite a few of them, because they are sooooo good at the moment, lovely and sweet and juicy.
The only trouble is that when I cut them open none are as bloody as I would like. Just little veins of red here and there. However the strange thing is that no matter how orange the flesh looks, when you juice them it is decidedly pink (ish). Where is that colour coming from? It must be hidden deep down.
Either way, here is a lovely sunny drink to help cheer up the last days of winter.
And you get a dose of vitamin C. It’s practically a health drink.
Blood Orange Sidecar
- 45ml cognac
- 30ml Cointreau
- Juice of 2 blood oranges
- Sugar to decorate (optional)
- In a small jug mix together the cognac, Cointreau and blood orange juice (if you want to be fancy you could use a cocktail shaker with some ice in it).
- To edge the glasses in sugar run a piece of orange around the rim and then dip into a shallow dish of sugar.
- Pour the Sidecar into the prepared glasses.
- Decorate with a wedge of orange if you wish.
© The Pink Rose Bakery 2015