I’ve got you all sussed. Yep. I have. You L.O.V.E. anything with chocolate in it. They are, by far, the most popular posts around these parts.
I can’t say I blame you. There is no judgement here when it comes to chocolate. Or how much you eat of it. It’s got antioxidant thingies in it, so it is practically a health food. Although I know it is significantly better for you to eat the raw stuff.
But let’s leave that for another day.
I have been wanting to make these brownies for ages, but just wasn’t sure when. Last year I teased you with healthy chocolate brownies, but I figured now was the time to go all out with some that are most definitely not healthy. But yet oh-so-yummy.
These brownies are fudgy, with a capital F. If you store them in the fridge once they have cooled, they will become even more fudge like. So, so good.
I use a mix of milk and dark chocolate in these. Usually I am all for 100% dark chocolate in anything, but, shock-horror, when I have made them with all dark they are just too rich for me. I can’t believe I have just written that, but it’s true. Therefore I temper the richness with a little creamy milk chocolate. But you do what you want. As I said, no judgements here. Please just don’t use white chocolate. Nope, that won’t work.
Also, as my love of brown teff flour continues that is the flour I used to make this particular batch, but as the quantity of flour is so small you can use anything you want. Past flours I have used include a gluten-free flour blend, cornflour, potato flour, rice flour and a mix of gram and cornflour (I wouldn’t use all gram flour because of the strong flavour it has), so really the world is your oyster when it comes to flour. If you use something else, I would love to know how they turn out. Needless to say if you are not inflicted with the need to avoid gluten, wheat flour will also work perfectly.
I could go on and on about how good they are, but really all you need to do is go and make them yourself so you can find out for yourself. The list of ingredients is small (I know) and they are incredibly easy to make.
The perfect end to our Hallmark meal!
Indulgent Chocolate Brownies
- 134g salted butter
- 100g milk chocolate
- 133g dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 160g dark muscovado sugar
- 33g flour, your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Celsius / 160 fan / 350 Fahrenheit. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl and set over a pan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Leave to melt.
- While the butter and chocolate is melting whisk the eggs and sugar together in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy and thickened slightly.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate to the eggs and sugar and gently mix in until fully incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and fold in.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until just firm around the edges but still soft in the middle and a crust has formed on the top.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before turning out and cutting into squares.
© The Pink Rose Bakery 2015