I said in this post that I was going to do a mini series of little bundt cakes. So to prove that I keep my promises, here is the second installment.
These mini bundt cakes give a little nod to Christmas without all the razzle dazzle. As I said yesterday, I have decided to take a gentle approach to Christmas. For this week at least (don’t worry, it will get much more frivolous in the weeks to come).
Based on a Bavarian cake, they have a hint of vanilla, which comes from the Advocaat that is in the batter. A gentle (or liberal, depending on how you feel) dousing with more Advocaat when they come out of the oven adds to the flavour and helps keep them moist.
Originally made to accompany a cup of coffee, what better way could there be to spend the afternoon watching the sun go down?
Alternatively you could serve them as a dessert with cream, chocolate sauce, a drizzle more of Advocaat or as I did with some deliciously pink stewed rhubarb in the centre and a pool of cream around the base. I wish I had taken a photo of it now for you to see. It made such a pretty pastel pink Christmas picture. But I’m afraid greed got the better of me. Sorry.
Mini Eggnog Bundt Cakes
Makes 5-6 mini cakes
- 3 eggs
- 133g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 150ml Advocaat (eggnog)
- 75g gluten-free plain flour
- 75g cornflour
- 6g baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 20ml Advocaat and 20ml rum
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 celsius / 180 fan / 400 fahrenheit
- Prepare the moulds by greasing with butter and dusting with a little plain flour.
- Using either a stand mixer or a hand-held mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the oil and the eggnog and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder into a separate bowl. Gentle mix this into the egg mixture.
- Transfer the batter to a jug and pour into the prepared moulds until they are each two-thirds full.
- Place in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 180 celsius / 160 fan / 350 fahrenheit.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until the sides shrink away from the moulds and the cakes are golden brown and spring back to the touch. While they are baking mix together the 20ml Advocaat and 20ml of rum in a small bowl.
- Rest for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and using a pastry brush gently douse the tops with the Advocaat and rum mixture whilst they are still warm.
- Allow to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.
Notes – I only have 4 mini bundt moulds, so I poured the rest into three muffin cases, which are then free for you to do with as you wish. And if that is eat them straight away, then so be it.
Recipe adapted from Peggy Porschen.
Sneaky peek at what is coming up next week:
Edible presents to give (or eat yourself)!
5 thoughts on “Mini Eggnog Bundt Cakes”
Thank you! 🙂