As it is Christmas week we are going all out!
We are going to throw a lot of things at this rocky road and we are not going to give a jot about it – it is a chocolate lovers dream.
There are two things that I think help make this rocky road a little different – the addition of white toblerone scattered across the top, like snowy rubble, and the inclusion of broken up peppermint matchmakers, which means that some pieces are minty fresh and others are just a hint of mint.
One of the things I like about rocky road the most (apart from the fact that it is a chuck-it-all-in recipe) is that no two pieces or mouthfuls are the same. Constant surprises.
Rocky road is one of those things that you need up your sleeve (or in the fridge may be better) especially at this time of year because it is easy to make, doesn’t require any baking, and everyone loves it.
And I mean everyone – my dad isn’t normally a huge fan of rocky road, but this one is disappearing rather quickly.
Another great thing about making it is the opportunity to bash things in a bag with a rolling pin, perfect for dealing with seasonal frustrations!
To make it even more festive you could dust the top with icing sugar and edible glitter. I don’t know how I managed to resist doing such a thing . . .
Christmas Rocky Road
- 200g unsalted butter
- 600g dark chocolate (the cheap stuff will be suffice here, given how much is needed and what we are going to do with it)
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 230g gluten free shortbread (shop bought is perfectly acceptable)
- 150g gluten free digestive biscuits (again shop bought will save time and energy)
- 60g mini marshmallows
- 40g Crunchie bar
- 100g white toblerone bar
- 40g mint matchmakers
- In a medium saucepan melt together the butter, plain chocolate and golden syrup.
- Place the shortbread and the digestives in a bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have, rubble, shrapnel and dust (the aim is to have a mixture of textures, you don’t want all rubble or all dust).
- Tip the bashed up biscuits into a large mixing bowl and add the marshmallows.
- Put the Crunchie bar in the bag and bash that around a bit too before tipping it into the bowl.
- Pour over the melted butter, chocolate and syrup mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is coated.
- Snap the matchmakers into small(ish) pieces and add the to bowl and mix in before tipping the whole lot into a large foil tray (if using a baking tray, you may need to grease it lightly).
- Spread as evenly as possible with the back of the spoon.
- Chop the white toblerone and scatter over the top.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- Turn out of the tray onto a board and using a sharp knife cut into squares.
- Dust with icing sugar and edible glitter before serving if desired.
- Keep the rocky road in the fridge to avoid melting disappointment.
© The Pink Rose Bakery 2015