Shall we talk about breakfast?
Shall we talk about breakfasts that are quick, easy and tasty?
I discovered a few months ago that I have the same reaction to oats as I do to gluten. This was sad news, not least of all because it meant farewell to my morning bowl of porridge.
However, I have since discovered rice flakes (well, rice and buckwheat flakes to be exact, but rice flakes on their own will work just as well), which make a kind of cross between porridge and rice pudding. And as rice pudding is one of my favourite things, it means that I can legitimately eat rice pudding for breakfast!
Also, rice flakes are incredibly quick and easy to cook and, just like oat porridge, they are a blank canvas for you to top with whatever takes your fancy.
As we are heading into the more temperate months I thought I would go for a tropical vibe and add coconut and fresh mango. Providing you prep the mango in advance (i.e. the night before), you can have this breakfast ready in a little over 5 minutes.
Quick, easy, tasty, and with a hint of the tropics. What a lovely day to start the day.
Although I should point out that you can eat this anytime of the day. It would also be perfect for a mid-week after supper treat.
The quantities I’ve given in the recipe are for one serving, but they are easy to multiply if you are feeding two, three or a whole army. You can also use whichever type of milk you want. I’ve made it with almond milk, cow’s milk and coconut milk. All three worked but with each one you get a slighter richer, creamier result (the simplest being the almond milk, the richest being the coconut milk). The teaspoon of coconut oil is completely optional. I used it because it adds to the coconut flavour, but if you haven’t got any you can leave it out.
NB – obviously, for photographic purposes I topped the coconut rice with a dainty amount of mango. However when it comes to the actual eating of it, this is what it looked like.
A big ol’ pile of mango that completely hides the rice.
Mango & Coconut Rice Breakfast Bowl
- 1/3 cup rice & buckwheat flakes, or just rice flakes
- 2/3 cup milk, your choice
- 1/2 tsp stevia sweetener, or sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut, or unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tsp coconut oil, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 fresh mango, cut into bite sized pieces
- Place the rice & buckwheat flakes, milk, stevia, vanilla extract and the coconut in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is the consistency of porridge, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the mango.
7 thoughts on “Mango & Coconut Rice Breakfast Bowl”
Ooh, love this new breakfast idea! Looks so yummy.
Sounds like my winter breaky, but I use regular milk and add sultanas and chopped dried apricots and a bit of honey. A great rib-sticker!