Featured image via
I can’t believe it is Favourites time again already. It only feels like a couple of weeks ago that I was putting together September’s. The clocks have gone back and before we know it Cringle-tide will be here! But before then, a scattering of pumpkins . . .
1) I am a late comer to the delights of gin, but now it is probably my favourite tipple. If, like me, you prefer to stay away from the mass-produced, rather uninteresting brands, here is a guide to which ones to try.
2) I would like to dive head first into either this Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Latte or Hot Chocolate. Really not fussy over which one. Maybe one after the other?
3) These mini lemon cakes must be made right now!
4) How cute are these mini mummy cookies? I’m not sure I could eat such a thing.
5) And on a similar vein – Sugar Skull Cake Pops!
6) How this is the first (and only) actual pumpkin recipe in this month’s round-up baffles me. Anyway . . . don’t they look delicious? And a great way to use up pumpkin puree. As a side note, I like to use these buckwheat pan-breads to make quesadillas.
1) A copper butter mould – utterly frivolous, but oh so cute!
2) Ceramic baby seal bowls – adorable.
3) Thirty different ways to decorate a pumpkin, and not all of them are Halloween themed. Although my favourites (pictured above) just happen to be . . . apart from the Cheshire Cat. And the ice-cream.
4) I may have mentioned before that I am a fan of tea, so this personalised tea-spoon may just have to be a must.
1) I adore these animal shaped memo note thingies, especially the deer. Very seasonal!
2) These kits (one for scrapbooking, one for cards and one for life projects) are very lust-worthy.
3) I adore Lalylala’s crochet creations and she has dressed them up for Halloween – ultra adorable.
4) These mini enamel dot necklaces would make a lovely Christmas pressie.
A new section this month . . .
As a self-confessed former beauty junkie, I thought I would share the things I have bought and loved this month:
1) Bare Minerals BB Primer-Cream in Fair – I have tried the original Prime Time from Bare Minerals and wasn’t overly impressed (so much so that the bin was the lucky recipient of it way before it was near the end of the bottle), however I was persuaded to give this one a go. I really like it. It doesn’t quite provide enough cover to use it on its own – unless you are having a really good skin day – but it is great under foundation and provides a boost of SPF protection.
2) Waitrose Pure Face Polish – this is an absolute bargain at £2.99! 100% natural and fragrance free, it contains shea butter, sweet almond oil and coconut oil with fine grain of salt as the ‘polishing’ agent. It doesn’t scratch your skin and you can really work it in and the oils moisturise your skin, which is great if your skin suffers in the cooler weather, which mine does. It does however leave a film of oil on your skin no matter how much you rinse, but a little bit of cleanser should remove it (I like to use a couple of drops of number 6 on this list).
3) Tarte Beyond BB Perfecting Liquid Foundation in Fair – I have read a lot about this brand, mainly on this blog and have been longing to try it. Fortunately I discovered it on QVC. Having watched some of the demos I was a little worried that the coverage may be a bit heavy, but it isn’t. I’d say it was medium on the coverage chart – natural, not cakey – but you could build it up if you wanted. It covers the occasional rosy patches that appear on my cheeks and even better it doesn’t emphasis the little dry flaky patches that can also appear at this time of year. Will definitely be trying more from this brand.
4) Bare Minerals Marvellous Moxie Lipgloss in Rebel – a great, everyday subtle colour. Sheer to medium coverage and shine that lasts. And it tastes of peppermint. Love it!
5) MAC Cremesheen Glass in Galaxy Rose – this colour is a slight departure for me as I usually stick to nude / neutral colours these days. However I have decided that it is time for me to go back to my 20s when I had all the colours! Variety is the order of the day! This is a cross between a lipstick and a lip gloss and the colour is a couple of shades darker than my natural lip colour, so it isn’t too bright. Sadly I think this actual colour may have been discontinued or renamed (I did pick it up in a discount cosmetics store). The closest I can find is Loud & Lovely.
6) Dr. Bonner’s Magic Soap – I have wanted to try this for a while, and now I have there is no turning back! It’s fair-trade and organic and creates lovely soft bubbles that leave your skin squeaky clean without stripping. I alternate it with my other favourite shower oil and also use it every day to wash my face after I have removed my make-up (this is the unscented one, but there are a number of smells to chose from). A little goes a long way, so it will last for ages. I have also washed my hair with it but you need to use a conditioner. The little 50ml size is perfect for popping in your hand luggage when you travel, especially if like me you are always paranoid that I will get on the plane but my luggage won’t! This will wash your face, body, hair and even your knickers if things get really desperate!
7) MAC Satin Eyeshadow in Eat, Love – this looks quite green in the photo, but it is more of a dark grey in reality. I use it with a little brush over eyeliner to give a softer look. Again I think this shade has been discontinued or renamed as I can’t find it on the website. I did get it from the same shop as the lip glass.
8. Zoya Nail Polish in Monica – this is the only brand of nail polish I will use now. I love to paint my nails but I don’t love all the nasties that are in most brands, and as nails are porous . . . This brand doesn’t contain any of the big nasty 5 and gives great coverage and will last as least a week before chipping. This shade is a creamy purple – perfect for autumn.
Well, that’s it for this month. I’d love to hear about any favourites you have in the comments below.