Do you ever have days where your spacial awareness is a little off kilter?
You were sure that you going to make it through the door way unscathed yet somehow you misjudged it and your shoulder hits the door frame, sending you careering into the adjacent wall.
Every plate, glass, mug etc. you take out of the cupboard clatters off the shelf / other plates, glasses, mugs etc / the edge of the work-top, leaving you wondering how on earth it has stayed in one piece.
Your fingers seem to have grown an extra centimetre and now you bash the ends of them off everything.
Cutlery flies inexplicably out of your hands. Or spectacularly fails to go into the cutlery basket in the dishwasher and instead ends up falling all the way through which means you have to all but climb into the dishwasher to retrieve it. Banging your head in the process.
You are quite happily walking down the stairs when suddenly you to miss a step and judder down three at once, grabbing the banister in order to try to steady yourself only to end up swinging from it like a gibbon. Then to add insult to injury the cats will have witnessed this ungraceful act and will stare at you with an expression that very clearly says “stupid human”. Yeah, right, because you never roll over and fall off the bed, do you, cats.
And the other night I was brushing my teeth, minding my own business, when the toothbrush leapt out of my hand and into the sink of its own accord.
I appear to be going through a clumsy phase. Fortunately nothing has been broken. Yet.
These sticky and spicy cashews, aside from being tasty, are very easy to make and require very little input.
Which is good if you are being clumsy.
Okay, there is the prospect of burning yourself on the oven, but . . .
All you need to do is mix a little oil, honey, spicy pepper and lime juice together. Add the cashews and roast in the oven for 10 mins. Add some coconut and voila! Tasty nibbles for the rest of the week.
I’m off now before I spill my tea all over the laptop.
Now that really would be a disaster!
Sticky Spicy Cashews
- 200g plain cashews, as in not already roasted or salted
- 1 scant tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper and chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Celsius / 160 Fan / 350 Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- In a bowl combine the oil, honey, lime juice, salt and pepper / chilli flakes.
- Add the cashews and stir to coat (it won’t stick terribly well at this stage).
- Tip the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out so that none of the nuts are overlapping each other. Drizzle over any glaze that may be in the bowl.
- Bake for 10 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Remove from the oven and scatter over 2 1/2 tbsps of the desiccated coconut. Stir everything around to coat the nuts in the coconut and sticky glaze.
- Scatter over the remaining 1/2 tbsp coconut and leave to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container.
© The Pink Rose Bakery 2014